Saturday, March 15, 2008

Organ Donation

I learned last night that my x-husband, Kevin has been given 2 years to live. My son, Ryan called me to tell me. I knew that he suffered from Hepatitis C from a blood transfusion back in the 70's when he had knee surgery. Apparently he has reached the point where nothing short of a transplant will improve his health. Kevin and I have been friends for many many years after our divorce and of course share my beloved son Ryan. He is a good man. He is a man that loves God. He has worked hard all of his life building a business that has just in the past few months taken off. He is getting his name out in the community but I don't know how much longer he can do the physical work that his awning business requires. Needless to say it is upsetting to myself, my son and everyone that knows him.

I have been doing some research on organ transplant lists this morning. I have educated myself a bit but will continue to do more.

I am writing this post mainly to get prayers for him but also do put the word out about how important organ donation is, at least in my opinion. There are thousands and thousands of people, adults and children alike, that wait for the all important phone call that their liver, lung, heart, cornea or which ever organ they need.

I am also educating myself about live donation. I wish I could do it myself but I don't qualify for a partial live donation. My son however might. We both have O-blood type which I found in my research the live donor can have and be matched to what ever blood type the recipient has.

When Ryan got his drivers license one of the first things he did was sign it to be an organ donor. He believes strongly in it as do I. I am a donor too. I know that my son would not hesitate to help his dad and share his liver with him. Knowing Ryan he has already thought of that. He is a very loving and caring person.

I found that in the state of Kentucky there presently are 163 people waiting for a liver. Kevin's number is in the 400's in the nationwide list.

If you will please remember Kevin in your prayers. Also remember Ryan too. They need lots and lots of prayers.

5 comments:

Bill said...

Thanks for spreading the word.
A news segment this week told about a woman who needs a kidney transplant, and a person who works at a Starbucks this woman frequents is donating one of hers. Amazing, but true.

Jen said...

I'm keeping you all in my thoughts.

Scott W said...

Prayers for all concerned and for those who pray.

Zanejabbers said...

What Scott W said. I also saw the Starbucks story. It is great that you and your ex have continued a friendship. Have a geat w/e

Anonymous said...

Don't give up hope; a lot of people are reading this and we will all pray. I was blessed to recieve a liver transplant in Oct 07. I'm doing very well now and counsel others about transplants. I received mine here in Houston at St Luke's hospital. My wife and I can answer just about any question you may have about what Kevin is facing and his care. Feel free to contact us. Rex and Linda