Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Floods and rainy days







We have received much more rain lately that we deserve. Surely there is somewhere in the world that needs some of our rain. It needs to go there, not here. There are parts of the area that are starting to flood and that is not a good item. No siree it's not.



I am fortunate (well not really fortunate, I made sure I didn't move to a flood area) to not live in a flood area. We have a large pond but it is far enough from the house to never cause a problem. It would also have to go up a hill to get to our basement house therefore I don't see it being a problem. Well, I guess I have established that huh? Anyway, the city of Paducah where I work has a flood wall. It was built after a flood in the 30's that took the city by surprise. You see our downtown area is right next to the Ohio River. Literally, if you were to continue going on Broadway and not stop you would end up in the river.
Some years back the city decided the flood wall needed something so they hired a painter to paint murals on each section. They are really something to see.
So the next time you happen to be anywhere near Paducah, Kentucky stop in and see the downtown area. It is quite charming.

9 comments:

Zanejabbers said...

I especially like the one near the end that looks just like and opening. GOOD JOB.

Trailboss said...

Uuuhhhh, it IS an opening you silly goose. But then you knew that. It is where you can freak people from out of town out by traveling down Broadway and just as you enter inside the flood wall the road peaks and the person thinks you are going straight into the river. It tickles the peewaddle out of me to do that to my "friends".......LOL

Scott W said...

Peewaddle? Where in the world did you learn that term?

You didn't mention they built the quilt museum behind the flood wall. Doh! What were they thinking?

That flood was in 1937.

Bill said...

Whatever you do, whenever you are continuing down Broadway, remember to stop.

p.s. Have you tried standing in your yard and singing "Rain! Rain! Go away!" at the top of your lungs? Just a thought.

Syd said...

Thanks for visiting. I like Kentucky. I remember going there to see the horses when I was a kid. I counted horses from Virginia to Kentucky on a hand clicker. The things that make little kids happy!

Trailboss said...

I didn't mention the quilt muesum because it isn't built behind the flood wall. It is on 3rd and Jefferson.

Scott W said...

Then was it the Executive Inn that was built behind the flood wall? Something was.

Anonymous said...

As of about 8PM the rain turned to snow here in Ohio. I am going to be in Erlanger next month

dAAve said...

I'm lost.
I have yet to find the quilt museum.