Saturday, March 8, 2008

Me and Abby



Me and Abby
Originally uploaded by anniebettyjobunny
I heard once that having grandchildren was like no other thing a person has ever experienced. You know what, they were right in every aspect of the word. This is my only grandchild, Abby. She will be 3 years old Monday and she is the love of my life.

Before Abby was born everyone was trying to figure out what she would call the grandparents. I always leaned toward Grandma because that was what my kids called Mom. I did not like Granny at all because when I think of Granny I think of a shriveled up old woman and I did not want to be associated with anything like that. We settled into Grandma pretty quickly and that was that. Or so I thought.

Abby, though, had a different idea of what she would call me. One day about 6 months ago she started calling me Grandmother. The way she pronounced it was so funny. I became Graaaaaaadmother. Who was I to argue with a 2 year old?

Now, I normally would associate Grandmother with a very prim and proper lady, always wearing the latest styles, having her hair "done" on a regular basis, nails perfectly manicured and what not. Nothing could be further from the truth about myself. I am and always have been a tomboy so when she dubbed me Graaaaaaaandmother it was a little odd at first. Then I think I fell in love with her all over again because out of all the grandmas, nanas, etc that she has I am the only Grandmother.

Kinda cool huh?

3 comments:

Scott W said...

Dang, you look so much like Aunt Bo it's scary!

Zanejabbers said...

Grandmothers are special. Mine hated to be called Granma or any such, it was Mother Lela. And I still loved her. Enjoy your specialty.

Bill said...

Abby certainly is a cutie, but you have a slightly psychotic look in your eyes. I almost missed the two pooches in the pic, because I was afraid you would lunge if I looked away.
Nice new profile pic, by the way!