Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Huh?

I heard something today while I was in another building covering lunch for a co-worker. Another co-worker was eating his lunch in the break room which is close to where I was sitting. He was talking to me about our company needing to hire more people, that there was enough work, etc. Then he said something really strange, at least to me. He said, "Now that we have a black president I am sure there will be a lot of them down here." Huh?

I spun around in my chair and asked him what he meant. He repeated his statement and I sat there dumbfounded. Does he really believe that? And apparently he did. It was hard to fathom what I had heard. Is our country so backward, so ignorant, so racist as to think that just because the president has a different skin color that suddenly blacks will be employed everywhere?

I will admit that I live in a very prejudiced part of my state and that there are people all around me that believe differently than myself. I also think that it is their right, just as it is mine, to have that belief and also the freedom to state what is on their mind. Many people have given their very lives for us to have that freedom. Oh my, is that what I am going to hear for the next 4 years? Probably. But that's ok. Because I truly believe in my heart of hearts that we will all be better off with the leader that was chosen yesterday. It will take time and it will take work but in the end the result will be worth every ounce of effort.

I look forward to being able to ask that same co-worker someday just how much different his life is now as compared to before the Election of 2008. That is really what it is all about isn't it?

12 comments:

steveroni said...

"...Do the hokey-pokey,
Turn yourself around,
That's what it's all about.
HEY!"

Red-Flag this blog, so you can return in about two years, and show that coworker a thing or two!

MichelleSG said...

Oy that is one of the things I do not miss about living on the east coast. Growing up in So Cal I did not realize there was that type of racism left in the US, I had no idea. Wow was I ignorant! And boy was I shell shocked when I got to Maryland and DC. No I don't miss that at all. I am just glad that we have come far enough that a black man was voted into the white house by a land slide so that can't even say that it was an 'almost' win or that there was some sort of cheating going on. No way, he one fair and square, the American people wanted Obama as president in the office and he happens to be black. Racists be damned, hopefully he can do an awesome job and tell them all to shove it!

CindyDianne said...

I think a black president is proof positive that this country, as a whole, is not racist. And that we can now, safely, put the racist card to bed. And, I am happy about that.

Trailboss said...

Amen Cindy!

Zanejabbers said...

All of the above. Dumb you can't change. Ignorance can be changed.
Bigotry can be changed. I would just like to say to those that are the latter two items - Giterdone.
Thanks Lisa.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

I was very alarmed at a couple of comments I heard today and floored that they felt comfortable making them in public. So offensive.

Anonymous said...

You know some people never overcome the ignorance of racism, but on the other side of that coin there has been a lot of reverse racism in the past 10-20 years in job hiring. In many areas of the country, if you were not of a minority race or a woman, you might as well not apply for the posted jobs. This occured with two people that I know personally. That's not right either. Hopefully there will be improvement in all areas in the next few years. If not, God is still in control.

Scott W said...

Racism starts at home. Racism, hatred and bigotry is not something a human being is born with. The change has to start at a grassroots level, with what we teach our children. And for those of us who do not have children, we have to be an exemplary example with our actions. I am proud to say I voted for the best man.

Jan Blawat said...

I think it's always a good thing to speak up. Even if all you say is a cheery, "I don't agree with you." Everyone is entitled to his own political opinion, but people drag things into a discussion of politics that are aren't even relevant. It's good to encourage them stop and think about what they're saying. I was really happy to hear my son (22) and his friends discussing the election intelligently. Race is a non-issue for them, they debated economics, foreign policy, and all the things that matter. After we watched the election coverage, I hugged my son and said, "From now on, it's YOUR world, and I know you'll do a good job with it." For the first time in a long time, I feel good about where our country is headed; that this wonderful new generation might be valued for their talents and willingness to work, instead of just being used as gun fodder.

Trailboss said...

Well said Jan. My daugheter who is 17 had lots of questions last night about Obama but none so important as "Mom, why are people so stupid and talk about the fact that he is black?" I was very proud of her especially since she goes to school with a lot of people that are 'stupid' in that way. She rose above it and told them all that she didn't want to hear it. I think the future of our country is good.

Pammie said...

I laughed when I read your post-good natured laugh though. I still haven't really thought about him being black...I'm still hung up on him being a deomcrat LOL

Bill said...

I still think it's weird that a man who is 50% white is a black man.
One day, perhaps, these distinctions and labels will seem silly.