Sunday, November 16, 2008

Feed Me Spot

Stephanie's horse Dakota does the same thing every day at the exact same time. Every afternoon at 4:00pm he stands in the exact same place and stares at the house. We refer to the spot he stands as his 'feed me spot.' He is, of course, waiting for someone to come and give him and Jones their evening grain.

IMG_6934

IMG_6938

IMG_6937

As you walk up the hill he softly nickers and starts walking toward the barn.

IMG_6939

You coming Mom?

IMG_6940

He looks like he's ready for the track in that picture doesn't he?

They drink a ton of water so the water has to be checked and most every day topped off.

IMG_6942

It's just all part of having the privilage of owning horses. Even on the cold rainy days it has to be done but you know what? I really don't mind. I don't mind because I love these guys so much. The don't judge me, they don't talk back to me, they don't talk about me behind my back (I don't think!). All they want is to be loved and taken care of. Just like my girls.

IMG_6945

I must say that the Good Lord sure knew what he was doing when he created animals. Don't you agree?

14 comments:

Chef said...

Absolutely I agree. And God made special people to take care of them! What beauties too - dogs and horses. Great post.

xox
Chef

MichelleSG said...

Totally, plus they keep us grounded and humble all at the same time. I can say this even though I just locked all mine up in their crates not 2 minutes ago. Trying to marinate steak on the counter and the tall dog think he needs to kill the other 2 and then eat my steak. I fed them not 10 minutes ago, see they even got to eat first!

Dan and Betty said...

Yep, I also agree. Our horses definitely know when it's time to be fed. If I'm late in the morning because I slept a few extra minutes, I can hear my gelding, Morgunn, fiddling with the door handle on our garage door that goes out to their paddock. I open the door and he's right there with a look on his face like, "where the heck have you been?"

Dan

Daniela said...

I totally agree and I won't go any further or I will start crying. All of your babies are beautiful!

steveroni said...

Love your horse photos. Some times (when I have the time) I miss the old "farm" days, animals everywhere--all the time. and you are SO right:

(They) "don't judge me, they don't talk back to me, they don't talk about me behind my back (I don't think!). All they want is to be loved and taken care of."

Thanks.

Scott W said...

Dakota's beautiful chestnut color is stunning against the blue of that tarp. Stunning!

Pony Girl said...

Cute pics! My Boy and Paint Girl's horses always just stand near the gates and stair up at the house, waiting for their people to come out and feed them! :)

Love the new banner. Say, is Jones the Morgan (the bay?) I remember you saying your horse was a Morgan on my post about Morgans.

Anonymous said...

One of my Pony Cousins wrote about her horse: "he stands like a soldier at the gate..." I like the alert look that your hungry horse has...ears up, head up high...magnificent..

Lou said...

I have a cat and she DOES judge me and talk behind my back. In fact she is a total bi**h! I should get rid of her.

Scott W said...

I forgot to say, shouldn't that be called the Feed Me Place? hehehe

Trailboss said...

PG yes, Jones is a Morgan. Some day when I have more time I hope to breed her.

So, you are silly but I get it!

Lou, that is why I don't have cats.

Dakota is a beautiful horse if I must say so myself. He is very regal looking, to me anyway. He's just a big ole baby though.

CindyDianne said...

I can't wait until I have the privilege of taking care of my own horses. Soon. I hope.

Paige said...

I totally agree--although it was a little nippy to be standing outside feeding all 43 of them tonight, it is still worth it

now if the dog will quit looking at my sandwich, it will be all good

Bill said...

I had no idea that horses were omnivorous. I'm assuming that Spot is a neighbor's dog.

I think you're right. God probably created humans, and then thought "Hmmm, that could have gone better. I'll make some other critters now that I know what not to do."