Monday, October 20, 2008

UGH Monday already?

I overslept this morning. I managed to make it to work in time but just barely. I hate being late. Can't stand it.

I had a glorious time riding Jones yesterday. It was such a beautiful day, she had not been ridden in a while so she was full of piss and vinegar which made it more fun for me! She tried to get her way more than once but that just made it more fun.....and we went the way I wanted to, not the way she wanted to. We explored all over and I thought I had found a new road and could not for the life of me figure out where I was and where this road came from. I followed it on up and then realized that I had gotten turned around somehow and it was a road I was familiar with. We went past some wild ass miniature horses that she usually will booger (have a fit, try to turn and go the other way, etc) over but she didn't. I let her see them and held her there until she calmed down and started licking her lips. When a horse licks their lips or breathes really big that means they have settled down and are using the "thinking side of their brain." Or so the shows on RFD-TV say. I taught my self how to ride at 6 so I don't know about any of that stuff.

We were gone about 3 hours. I was wearing an orange cap (to let the potential deer hunters know I was human and not a deer) but I still got some sun on my face. I even had on sunblock and didn't sweat but I guess none of it is foolproof, that is unless you stay inside and not at all in the sun. That isn't me. I love being outside and don't plan on changing now.

My mare is not barn sour (to you non horsey people that means they don't want to leave their home and act out and stuff. It can be a real pain in the ass) but I wanted to keep it that way so I decided to make her take the long way to the gate home. When we came up to the yard Dakota was nickering away and very excited to see her. We went around the entire fenced area and then, instead of untacking her at the hitching post I took her in the front yard. Afterwards I took her into the pasture and tied her up and brushed her really well. She had cockaburrows all in her tail from where we had gone through the high grass so I had to get that out. Then I removed her halter and she was ready for dinner. I gave her an extra helping of grain.

I tried to get Stephanie to ride with me but she said "I'm not comfortable in my saddle Mom, the stirrups are uneven." I understand where she is coming from. Her gelding is half thoroughbred and always is ready to run like the wind. In fact if she doesn't gallop him a bit when she first gets on him he is dancing and prancing because he needs to get that out. After all it is bred into him. When a person is uncomfortable in the saddle and you run the horse you feel like you don't have control and am about to fall off.

Oh oh oh and I had my small digital Sony with me to take some pretty pictures, especially of the haunted house we rode past but alas. There were no batteries in it. Poop. It didn't have much effect on my ride though. I was just happy to be out there, me and my horse and nature. nice. I am so very thankful to have my babies and have some really great places to ride right there within just a few miles of my house. In fact, my favorite trail is about 1/8 mile from my place.

Yet another thing to be thankful for. I love my life.


Pam said...

I would love a barn sour horse!

MichelleSG said...

I know just what Steph means, all the horses I was stuck with were TB's, it's probably why I don't ride anymore. They scare the crap out of me. I was never able to find my seat and lordy I cantored a few times and I never ever want to do it again. The one flying lead change I experienced was the most horrible feeling ever. I think it's supposed to feel a bit more smooth than the kerflop that it came through as for me. Nope, everyone else at the barn has an ass made of velcro, mine was made of teflon. Maybe I should have been riding a draft horse and I'd still be riding today. I never left the arena on the TB's, waaay to terrified of what they'd do because you never know what they'd do once you got on them. And God forbid the wind was blowing, forget it they'd be gone!

Trailboss said...

Michelle but didn't you ride event horses? I remember you mentioned an English saddle. (I can't even imagine riding on one of those little things with no horn). Joe asked me yesterday when was the last time I rode the gelding and I said "The day he spooked and I fell off." lol I almost rode him yesterday though. It might be fun to get on him and ride like the wind....but only for a short time, like 10 seconds!

Karen said...

Your day sounds wonderful. I'm having fun reading blogs today, but I'm not getting a darned thing done. Use the "thinking side" of the brain. I love that. I'll have to use that line on my kids.

Scott W said...

Just please be careful and have your cell phone with you always.

If you can't stand being late, sit down! LOL

Andrea said...

I have a TB mare and I love her. She is the one that my kids rodeo on. And she is not fast. She just walks around the barrels. She is the best horse. But when I bought her she was not like that. I worked with her for 6 months to calm her down.
And you are such a brave woman to go riding a horse with a little energy. I hate that!! All I want to do these days is ride almost dead horses. Ones that barely move!! LOL!! I am such a scardy cat!
It sounds like you had a great ride!

Cat said...

I just think that having the ability to go and ride my horse whener I wanted to would be so great - I mean its a kids dream!!! I am glad you had a wonderful ride - Sundays should be good for that! Cat

Flying Lily said...

Nice ride description! Moseying is very enjoyable, and some people enjoy discoveries on a trail ride but I am one who always, always needs to know I am Not Lost. Lostophobic.

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

TB, yep, you're right about riding alone. I love riding with my wife, but I also enjoy riding alone. I also agree with another post. I would never leave home with someone else or by myself without my cell phone. I keep it on me, not my horse. It won't do much good if it goes with your horse.



Trailboss said...

To all...I always carry my cellphone in my jeans pocket and NEVER on the saddle. You are right, you never know what might happen and if I lose my seat then I have my phone to use if need be. I must say though it would take a lot for me to use it! hehe

Syd said...

I had a thoroughbred gelding who was the best horse. He had sense. But he could really move. A big guy at 17 hands. I miss him.

Bill said...

Skip work and go back to take ictures of the haunted house. I love a haunted house.

I was barn sour before I got in AA. I only left the house to go to the liquor store. Now I know what to call that...thanks!