Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thursday The Thirteenth

Stephanie is taking welding this year. I think it is a great idea. She is very much the tomboy and wants to work outside, as opposed to a clerical type job, so she decided to give this a try. She goes to a school that is very much country oriented. Our county is very rural with most kids coming from an agricultural background. On the first day of welding class all of the kids were standing around listening to the teacher when suddenly one boy said "what's with all of the girls in trade school?" Steph turned to him and quipped "Trade school isn't just for boys, girls can take it too." The boy didn't say anything else. Gotta love that spunk. She is just like her mama. If she wants to do something even if it is a bit different she will speak her mind. I bought her steele toed boots, safety glasses and welding gloves so she is ready. I hope she likes it because a good welder can make goo gobs of money. I can totally see her doing this. We shall see.

On another note I heard from my son Monday afternoon. He is staying with a friend and has no job. No minutes on his phone, no real prospect for a job. He said he had been looking that day for a job. Mind you, it had been over 3 weeks since I last heard from him and he was not looking for a job then. He was talking about joining the Navy. He mentioned that again Monday. I didn't ask him things like I normally would have. All I needed to hear was the he was OK. I didn't want to know any more. He said a few things where I normally would have asked questions or had comments but I didn't this time. I didn't want to. So I didn't. In fact I couldn't wait to get off of the phone. That might sound odd to some people but it felt so right to me. I didn't get upset at all which is a giant step for me. It was however very good to know he was OK and still in town. I don't know if/when Ryan will ever get sober but one thing I do know. I will be OK. My family will be OK. That is the only thing I have control over. What he does with his life is his business, not mine. He has to make his own decisions. It has taken me years to get to this point.

I wish work would pick up. We are so slow lately and there is nothing to do. Thankfully though no one is standing over me causing me to have to look busy. There is nothing that makes me more tired than trying to look busy. Plus working in an office by myself helps too.

Let's everyone have a fine day today and see how many smiles and waves we can give to friends and total strangers. I like doing that. I like too that I live in a town where people don't find that strange. It's a very friendly little town. And that just makes me happy.

5 comments:

Vintage Chicken said...

Way to go Steph! I have a daughter like that also - my Bailey is very much a tom-boy. She is very involved in her 'cows and pigs' and isn't the least bit intimidated by the usual 'boy' classes at school.

I'm sure she will probably end up taking a welding class too - if for no other reason that to just learn how to do it for her own personal growth!

KUDOS to Steph for being strong and an independent thinker!

Scott W said...

Hi, So! *waves*

Karen said...

Steph sounds like a very together young lady. You're right, a job like that could pay big bucks! And wasn't Jennifer Beal in Flashdance a welder?! (Am I remember that right?)

Dan and Betty said...

Good for Steph.

Your feelings about Ryan are healthy.

Hang in there.

Dan

Syd said...

I think that you are doing great with the way that you detach from Ryan. You love him but also realize that he has to make decisions for his life.

You sound happy and content. That's a great place to be.