Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I know it is part of growing up but...........

it breaks mine and Joe's hearts. Stephanie's boyfriend broke up with her after school yesterday after 16 months of dating (we all know that length of time in high school is HUGE) and didn't even give her a reason. He said they need to be friends. She was just at his house most of the day Sunday riding 4-wheelers and having a great time. I think he is a complete coward for doing this like he did. She deserves a reason and we told her so.

She talked very little to me but did talk in length to her Dad. He told her that he has never trusted him since they met. That he is a liar (we both knew that but Steph would never believe it) and he thinks a cheat. They talked a long time and she seemed better for it. I am so thankful for their relationship. She and Joe have come a long long way in the past couple of years. He can give her the guy's point of view and that is something I can't.

We ate dinner a bit later then Steph called a good buddy of hers that knows Greg well. He confirmed what her dad told her. He said Greg is a player. That pretty much sealed the deal for her (as far as believing it). Naturally she didn't want to believe it. This girl loves, I mean truly loves Greg. I know because I was in love in high school. No one believed me but I knew. She does too.

I know that she will be fine and this is a part of growing up. The painful part of relationships but frankly between me and you, I hope that boy stays out of her life forever. But that is not up to me or Joe.

The last thing I told her this morning as I walked out of the door for work was to hold her head high today. She said she would try. I told her "You can do it baby." Damn, this hurts but not near as much as her little heart is hurting.

She will be fine but it might take a while. Meanwhile she has her family and friends to lean on. Gee, it is tough being a parent when your kid's heart hurts.

8 comments:

Pony Girl said...

That is a long time to be with one person in high school! Everything is so much stronger emotionally when you are that age, sometimes it feels like the end of the world. She will probably date many more boys, and break some hearts of her own, before she finds "the one." How great to have a dad she feels so comfortable talking to!

Syd said...

I remember that first love. The breakup that came and the feeling like hell. High school is a tough time. Lots of confusion occurs. It will take time but Steph will be okay. There are more fish in the sea. I'm glad that you and Joe are supportive.

Dusty Devoe said...

I am sorry Stephanie has to go through this. It will make her a stronger person. She is blessed to have you and Joe for parents.

Vintage Chicken said...

If only we had the same clarity at 18 that we have as we get older!

What I would do differently now!

Glad you're there for her-luckily she has school to keep her busy and her mind active! Maybe she will get over this quickly?

Gin said...

Poor Steph. Young love hurts so badly when it is over. I know she will be okay though. She's got two great parents to help see her through.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sometimes I think it is called the "firdst lovew " because it is not the last . We all have these horrible hurts in our lives , and I just want to come down there and hug Steph. She is a beautiful wonderful gal and so much better off to be away from him now before his deciet does even more harm .That said I know the porr girl is hurting , hopefully the support of friends and family make this a short proccess

Paint Girl said...

I am so sorry to hear about Steph! That is so hard! But if he is a player, than Steph is way better off without him in her life!
I hope she is doing well, and having you and Joe there for her is the best thing! You are a wonderful mom!

dAAve said...

She's lucky that she gets to grow up with loving parents at her side.
Many younguns aren't that lucky these days.