Saturday, June 21, 2008

It's what's for Dinner

It is a beautiful day in West Kentucky today. I haven't been out a lot but I did manage to get to the garden to do some harvesting. Joe planted lots this year but one that I have been looking forward to is one that no one else in my family will eat. Squash. I love it. I never cook it because no one else eats it. But Joe planted it and now it is starting to produce the most beautiful squash!

IMG_1983

I dug out an old recipe from The Blackeyed Pea, which is a restaurant in the south. It is a squash casserole and oh my, someone pinch me cause it is G O O D! My family has no idea what they are missing. We are also having a baked corn dish along with marinated chicken breasts which Joe will grill. I might make a fresh salad since I also was able to harvest some grape tomatoes and some cucumber.

Speaking of cucumber, does anyone have any ideas on what to do with cucumber other than have it on a salad? I am going to have tons of it and I will give most away but I love the taste and have never really made anything with it. Also any comments on squash would be appreciated as well.

2 comments:

Zanejabbers said...

Squash Casserole:
Large Casserole Dish,
3 Yellow Squash
3 Zuchinni Squash
1 or 2 bell peppers
1 or 2 large onions
1 or two large tomatoes.
Italian Seasoning
Garlic Powder
Cut Veggies in 1/4 in slices.
Layer them: one of yellow, one of zuchinni, one of bell pepper, one of onion, one of tomato. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning on each layer with light sprinkle of garlic powder. Repeat until to the top of casserole.Tope caserole with spats of butter. Bake at 375 for 1 hr. 30 min. or until done. Quite good. Add no water. These veggies make their own juices.
Enjoy. "Yummy Yummy Yummy I got squash in my tummmy"

Trailboss said...

Thanks Zane!