Monday, December 15, 2008

Icy Monday

We are supposed to have an ice storm today and/or tonight. I am not a happy camper. Give me snow any day over ice please. I am getting my work caught up and plan on leaving around 2pm unless it starts getting bad outside in which I will leave earlier.

Joe is on his way to take Annie to the vet for stitches to be removed. He will also talk with Jason about a few things going on with her. She has several spots popping up all over, including one above her right eye. They look just like the cyst Jason removed last month. But the speed at which they are appearing is a bit alarming to us. We are also wanting to put her back on her arthritis medication. Jason had us stop it when she started taking the other medication but I really think she needs it. She has arthritis all throughout her spine and into her neck. Can you just imagine having chronic pain and suddenly have your medicine taken away?

On the upside her appetite is great! This morning I thought she needed to go outside but she walked over to her sister's empty food bowl and stared up at me. I gladly filled it full and she had some breakfast.

We are so worried about our baby. I hate to say this but I don't think it will be very long before she has no quality of life. I hope I am wrong but how can you tell? I wish she could talk, even if just for 5 minutes, to tell us what's really wrong.

**Joe just called. The good news is that the medicine Annie is taking is also helping her arthritis so we are good there. The bad news is the spots that are popping up are the cancer spreading. She is getting 5-6 new ones every day. Jason said as long as she is eating well and drinking she is good. Joe asked him if he thought she was in pain and he said she seems like she is not but we have no way of knowing. We will keep her comfortable and happy until she lets us know differently. If anyone knows anything to look for when she starts to hurt please please let me know. I do NOT want her suffering at all if I can help it. Yes, it will break our hearts to have her put down but it is what responsible owners do**

12 comments:

Lou said...

I'm glad you have a plan, sad as it is.

MichelleSG said...

Oh dear, you will know. Trust me, I have seen it a hundred times before and the one sure thing is that when the time comes you will know. It's odd that way but you are both well bonded to your little girl and when she is really not well it will be totally evident to you. Have faith, you do have a communication of sorts with your dog, more than you even know.
That she is still having a good appetite is awesome, one of the first things to go when they are in pain is the appetite. Keep your eye out for what her food intake is and when she gets down make her satin balls. If you don't know what they are I'll email you the recipe if/when you need it. Just let me know when she won't eat for you.

Bill said...

sigh
One day at a time, kiddo.

Syd said...

She'll let you know when she stops eating and become lethargic and depressed. I've lost several dogs to cancer and they basically stop eating. I'll keep Annie in my thoughts and prayers.

Daniela said...

Annie will let you know. She will decide when it is time. I'm so sorry you two have to go through this. Let me know if you have any questions.

Zanejabbers said...

This is a BIG DOSE of extra love for ANNIE. And this is an extra extra BIG DOSE AND HUGS FOR YOU and JOE.

Dan and Betty said...

TB, the last act of love we as horse and dog owners have to do is ease our friends out of their pain.

All of our hearts break with yours.

Dan

Patricia Marie said...

Wow. I am sorry. I know how much you love your animals.

Pammie said...

I want you to have that 5 min. talk. Can you imagine how wonderful that would be?

Sherry Sikstrom said...

You will know when it is time , I can't imagine that anyone as tuned into their dog as you are would miss it. Trust yourself and her to tell you ,and in the meantime hugs to you and and Annie enjoy your tome.

Scott W said...

I often tell Bunny I wish he could tell me what he wanted. I think he wouldn't be so Tazmanian Devilish.

Jen said...

I agree with all of these answers. You will know when it's time I believe Annie will let you know. My neighbors dog passed away in front of us a couple of years ago...she knew they knew we knew....she wanted to lay in the sun on the deck...it was summer...I kissed her good bye and turned to do something and she passed away....it was quiet, and peaceful and tearful.
I pray for your strength.