Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I was so scared

IMG_4841

We thought yesterday might be the day to have to let this sweetness go. As I have mentioned, her cancer is back and much worse this time. Joe has been spending as much time as possible by her side and watching her every move.

Yesterday afternoon I stopped by to see Leah and Abby after work. He called me to say that Annie had walked outside, sat down and looked up at him. Her eyes were telling him she didn't feel good. On my way to the vet's office to meet them I called So to tell him what I feared. He cried with me and told me to be strong and there for Annie. When we saw the vet she had 103 temperature. Dr. Golden said she looked happy and suggested some topical ointment to ease some of the cancer in various places, gave us some antibiotics and sent us on our way. Needless to say we were greatly relieved.

After we ate dinner everyone spent extra time with her, loving and talking to her. She stayed in Joe's room most of the evening until she was ready for bed. She came in my room and assumed her position on the bed and patiently waited for me. I woke up several times during the night and was comforted by her being right beside me sleeping peacefully.

We know she doesn't have much time left, and that when the time comes we will know. We will do what is right for Annie, not us. It's part of the deal. Part of the love we have for her. I told her and Joe last night that if love could heal her she would be the healthiest dog in the world. He smiled and nodded his head.

10 comments:

Syd said...

I think that Annie will let you know. Animals have a way of doing that. I hope that all will be well for the time being. And that she can spend many more nights next to you.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

You have had lots more time that you originally thought .Still when the end comes ,we never think we have had enough time. One more day,seems to be what our hearts want . prayers and hus to you and Annie.When it is time ,she will go with the love of her family and take comfort in that.

Gin said...

I am so sorry that she is sick again. I am thankful though that you have had this extra time with her and that you are all taking advantage of it.

Dusty Devoe said...

I am so sorry. I know you will enjoy every precious moment with your beautiful Annie. HUGS!

MichelleSG said...

Oh yeah, she'd live forever if love would heal her. You just keep on taking care of her like you are!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry!! Our pets are family to us - as I'm sure they are to you - and it's heartbreaking when you know they're suffering, yet still manage a smile or wag of the tail... My heart goes out to your whole family.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

Sniff. I just hate it when pets die. I get so attached to them. I hate this for you, but I hope when the time comes, she goes peacefully.

Scott W said...

There is pain, but over all pets are the best deal around. Such unconditional love.

Carroll Farm said...

I don't know that I can word it better than everyone else already has. So if I may, Ditto. and hug that beauty for us all.

Paint Girl said...

I am so sorry that Annie isn't feeling well again. Enjoy all the special moments with her, like I know you will. You will know when the time is right. She is so sweet and precious.
I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!!