Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Dash In between

We have had a hard time dealing with Annie's death. I knew it would be hard but I never dreamed it would be this hard. But Annie is better now, it's just us that are hurting.

To me, the dash in between is the joy and love that she gave us for almost 8 years. I had to kind of play a little bit of head games with Joe back in 2001 when I decided I was ready for another dog. Here's how it went

I had been without a dog for 8 years after Jack (also a boxer) died. But I was ready again. I told Joe that I wanted a dog for Christmas that year. I wanted a boxer, of course, and his reaction was that a dog didn't belong in the house, it belonged outside. I told him that I disagreed and that a dog is part of the family. I wanted a dog to be with me inside and outside. He was steadfast in his opinion that a dog should be outside. I realized my approach wasn't working so I told him that if I couldn't have a dog inside that I didn't want one at all. After a short period of time he realized that I was serious and gave in.

I started looking and searching for a boxer puppy. I finally found an ad and called. They had several left but only a couple of males which was what I wanted. I had always had males in the past. We went to look at the pups. While Joe and I were standing in the little kennel one little girl kept coming over to both of us as if to say "take me!" Before either one of us knew what had happened that little girl had jumped into our hearts. We looked at each other and both agreed that she was the one.

Steph held her on the ride home. I was tossing around names and finally decided on Annie. I had always loved that name. I also wanted to name her after my precious mother who's name was Betty Jo. Mom's nickname was Bunny, so Annie Betty Jo Bunny it was. For you who read my brother, So, you know that his Boston is named Bunny for the same reason.

Joe's heart started softening to the little pointed head puppy named Annie. Not too long after that he had a bad case of shingles which started getting into his head toward his eyes. He went to the doctor where they put some medicine in his eyes that he was apparently allergic to. It burnt his eyes. He couldn't work for several weeks and literally couldn't do anything except stay in a dark room. It was during this time that he and Annie truly bonded. She was only about 3 months old and she and Joe were inseparable. The rest is history.

When we buried her Saturday under the flag, he told her that she had been the best thing in his life. That she had opened his eyes to so many things. And she did. She brought so much love to our family as only dogs can do. She will be forever missed but never forgotten.

14 comments:

Gin said...

I am so sorry. I didn't realize that she had passed. This was a beautiful tribute.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

A lovely tribute to a lovely dog.I would like to share with you something a fellow blogger left on my blog last Sept when I had to put my old mare down and Polly my old collie dog.
"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Zuccaro
The post is here if you are up to it-
http://fernvalley01.blogspot.com/2008/09/letting-go.html
My heart goes out to you in this sad time.
Hugs
Sherry

dAAve said...

Great memories.

MichelleSG said...

Outdoor dogs, yeah sure right. e got over that real quick didn't he? I never had an outdoor dog, didn't make sense to me. Why own it if you don't want it in your life proper? If I wanted something outside I'd build a pond and put fish in it.
You guys hang in there, she's in a good place.

Dusty Devoe said...

What a great tribute TW. You made me cry. Just keep thinking of all those wonderful memories. She will be with you forever. HUGS.

Karen said...

This is a beautiful tribute to Annie. You all had such a beautiful life together.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

What's that line from "Everybody Loves Skip"? A boy learns a lot from his first dog.

Alex said...

what a lovely dog, and such a lovely life. im so glad she is cancer free and running over the bridge... i hope you and joe can heal and remembering her like this will only help. sounds like she and joe were meant to be

Dan and Betty said...

Very nice, TB. We know how you feel.

Dan

Lou said...

Thanks for sharing that story..

We had a cat for 21 years, he grew up with Andrew. He rotated sleeping on the kid's beds, changing every week like clockwork. When he died Andrew buried him in the back yard. Now whenever we talk about moving, Andrew always says "what about Caviar's body?"

Arlene said...

Annie will be forever remembered. What a great story about her and your family.

Paint Girl said...

Oh, TB, I feel your pain. When I had to put our 2 older dogs down at the same time 2 yrs ago, it was the hardest thing ever!! I so feel for you guys right now. Know in your hearts that you were the best mom and dad to your precious Annie.
Many ((Hugs)) to you guys!!

Syd said...

I've lost many dogs over the years and each hurts my heart. But there are those that are so special that they become the Heart Dog. I think that Annie was like that for you.
I know that she will be with you in spirit for a long, long time.

Anonymous said...

my word this is a beautiful story about your pupper.