Sunday, February 15, 2009

Feedin' Time

Our neighbors, Mr and Mrs Cannon, are out of town for a funeral in Michigan. They asked Joe if he would feed the critters while they were gone. He was happy to oblige. I tagged along this morning with camera in tow.

JR is their dog. He is the protector of the farm. He is old and gentle and very sweet. Joe gave him twice the amount of food that he usually gets because he was hungry and it is cold outside.

IMG_9697

IMG_9705

IMG_9711

Then onto the herd of cats!

IMG_9701

IMG_9702

IMG_9706

IMG_9710

We checked the pigeons, they had plenty of food and water.

IMG_9707

Now onto the cows. This is Kid. He is 22 years old. All you have to do is ask him if he is hungry and he nods his head. It is so precious.

IMG_9714

This is some of what Kid and the other cows eat.

IMG_9713

Mr Cannon buys bread and bread items from the day old bread store. Strange huh? But they love it.

IMG_9717

IMG_9720

This little one gets some too.

IMG_9721

IMG_9726

IMG_9723

There are four more down here to feed. Two of them get grain because they will be on our dinner table in a few weeks or months. I'm not sure.

IMG_9727

IMG_9731

IMG_9732

Yum yum!

IMG_9733

IMG_9735

Just about then the rooster started crowing.

IMG_9739

IMG_9740

We made sure they had enough food and water. One was laying an egg. I rudely went in the henhouse and took pictures.

IMG_9745

I even used the flash!

IMG_9746

I was quick to get out of there though. I have memories of Mam-Maw and Pa-Paw's chickens when I had to collect the eggs and they were not good memories!

After everyone was fed it was time to come home and feed ourselves. Stephanie had stayed back at home and by the time we got back she had made the bisquits and gravy. All I had to do was fry the sausage and make the scrambled eggs (fresh eggs at that). It was a delicious breakfast and a really great way to start the day. Joe and I have talked about building a chicken coop and we might still. Those fresh eggs were absolutely delicious! Makes me think long and hard about having chickens ourselves. Just have to make sure the coyotes couldn't get them. This neck of the woods has a lot of coyotes.

12 comments:

Karen said...

Fresh eggs would be a delicious way to start the day. I love the animal pictures. Especially that red headed cow. Soooo cute.

Dan and Betty said...

Sausage, eggs, biscuits and gravy - Ummmmmmmm!

Great pictures.

Dan

MichelleSG said...

Wow, kid is a cool looking cow! I have heard from some people that longhorns are ornary and others that they are easily trainable. I've never met a cow so I haven't a clue...

Scott W said...

We never heard of coyotes when we were young, and that was just down the road a piece. Do those chickens have heaters? Cos I can't imagine those feathers would keep them warm. And it's sad to see the eyes of what you will eat in a few weeks.

And those stale hamburger buns, how totally wacky that they give those to those poor cows.

Dusty Devoe said...

Love the pictures. We had a mini farm when Pony Girl and Paint Girl were growing up. It was alot of fun.

Jen said...

I get fresh eggs from a lady...we love them...i probably will never go back to store bought ones...we buy them every Friday a $1 a dozen...they are brown...the way they should be....
I also buy bread off the dollar bin...I freeze mine though...and it is great...if any bread is molded we toss it out the back yard for the birds.

Jan Blawat said...

A secure pen will keep a coyote out, it's raccoons that are a problem with chickens. If you can get into the pen, so can they. But chickens are fun to keep, they're smarter than you think, and the eggs are the best. Chickens don't need heaters, just a place to stay out of the wind and rain. In really cold areas (like Canada) you'd keep a breed with smaller combs. The bread-eating cows looked happy and healthy to me. A 22-year old! I didn't know cattle lived that long. It must have a great life.

Lou said...

Day old buns..yummy! LOL

I agree with Scott, I wonder how people used to eat their animals.

Bill said...

When my mom was a girl, she used to mash the chickens up against their roosts with a stick when she collected eggs...until my grandma caught her.

Zanejabbers said...

Ghurl I would have just S%$# if you had a snapshot of an egg popping out. WHEW!

Anonymous said...

Those folks have quite the farm. And that is quite an impressive set of horns on that guy. Ummmm yum! What a breakfast.

Syd said...

I never knew that cows ate bread. I always thought it was silage or feed or stuff like that. Interesting for ruminants to like bread.