Saturday, May 7, 2011

Derby Day!

I have not missed a Kentucky Derby in many years. I never know which 3 yr olds are going to be in it, I just love watching it. Maybe it's because I'm a Kentucky gal? And a horsey gal? Anyway, it will be on shortly and I will love those 2 minutes.

I can remember Smarty Jones and how I, (among others) were so hopeful that he would win the triple crown. I hope to see another triple crown winner in my lifetime.

Has anyone wondered what it would be like to actually be a jockey on those little bitty saddles (if that is what you want to call them!) and going so fast on some horses that are literally only 2 yrs old. Every thoroughbred has the same birthday, Jan 1. Therefore some of the ones running could literally be only 2 yrs old.

Yall go on and watch it. Best be fast though cause they are getting ready to start their gorgeous march into the starting gate. Time for me to get in front of the TV!

2 comments:

Dan and Betty said...

The race is about 16 minutes away as I write this post. Those small saddles are hardly ever used. They aren't much more than bareback pads.

Enjoy the race.

Dan

Syd said...

I have been a derby fan for many years.