Thursday, January 13, 2011

Let's hear it for 33 yrs of typing!

I have worked in an office situation for the past 33 years. Working in an office generally requires one to type.....a lot. That is what I have been doing. Typing. I typed at The Chicago Motor Club in 1977 when I issued International Drivers Licenses to folks. I typed when I worked in a security position (actually called a Timekeeper) in Houston in 1977. That was in between asking employees to see their ID cAArd (that's for you So) as they passed by my office to clock in and go about their day.

I typed when I took trouble reports from not so happy people when their phone was not working for 2 years. I typed when I moved from that job to a clerical job in a Central Office when I worked for Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. in Houston. I typed a lot when I moved to another job within that company to one of the District offices. I did a LOT of typing at that job.

I typed when I worked as an Account Manager for one of the local chemical companies around these parts. I wrote a lot at that job too. I loved that job. I was there for 9 years. In fact that is where I met my husband Joe. I am glad I worked there cause I got to meet my life partner.

I typed when I worked in Insurance for 5 1/2 years. State Farm usually requires a lot of forms to be completed and they had this handy thing called a computer that I grew to love.

I type at my current job all day long. Have I mentioned that I have typed a lot? Heck, I've typed a lot just during this post. Anyway, the point of all of this is that since I have typed so much for so long the repetitive actions of my fingers and the keyboard has resulted in me suffering for a few years from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I have been wearing wrist braces for a number of years when I sleep but the problem has continued to get worse.

I mentioned it yet again to my wonderful Dr. Turnbo a couple of weeks ago at my 3 month appointment. He simply asked me if I would like to get it fixed. I was happy to say yes.

I saw the orthopedic surgeon Monday who will do the surgery. I have it in both hands and have decided to get them both fixed at the same time. The surgery is scheduled for Feb. 10th with a recovery time of 3-4 weeks. I asked Dr. Deweese about arthroscopic surgery he said that he doesn't do that type of surgery. He has found that the other way proves to be more effective and will most likely avoid nerve damage. I chose to put my trust in the man who knows what he is doing so I will have the old fashioned surgery.

I don't look forward to not being able to use my hands for a period of time but I do look forward to the relief that I will surely get from the simple snipping of the tendon.


Amy said...

Oh my goodness... that sounds like quite an extensive recovery time without your hands, but definitely worth it in the long run!

Wishing you the very best!

Dan and Betty Cooksey said...

I do wish you the best. Feb 10 is one day after my next doctors visit for my prostate surgery and, hopefully, I'll be back OK.


fernvalley01 said...

good luck and I hope you heal quickly!

Scott W said...

Hands down you are making the right decision! ;-)

Syd said...

Good luck with the surgery and take care. Your job keeps many people going.