Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Alert -- blue haired ladies coming

Once again it is time for quilters from every state and all over the world to ascend on Paducah, Kentucky.

DSC04539

2008 marks the 24th year of the Quilt Show in Paducah. Somewhere around 30,000 - 40,000 people come to admire all of the quilts, visit the American Quilters Museum and buy tons of "stuff" to use while quilting. I know nothing about quilting so I don't see the fascination but apparently it is a very popular thing to do. The only thing I know to do is STAY AWAY FROM DOWNTOWN because the quilters are everywhere. A lot of them sport fanny packs and quilted vests. Others are quick to recognize because they look so much like, well quilters.

One good thing about it though is that the quilters pump lots of money into Paducah's economy and that is a good thing. Does anyone out there like to quilt??

9 comments:

Scott W said...

I have quit some things, like drinking and smoking, but I have never quilt anything.

Trailboss said...

Me too So!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Anyone like to quilt?!? YES! ME! But I will never wear a fanny pack or any quilted piece of clothing - and my kids have been put on alert that if I ever even begin to look like a "Paducah quilter" then I must be stopped immediately! I not only quilt, I collect quilts - now who doesn't like quilts?!? Love your blog - your horses are beautiful and your granddaughter is adorable!! Nan

Trailboss said...

Thanks Nan! Have you ever been to the quilt show here?

Mrs said...

My mom and her friends quilt. I simply snuggle in the ones they've made. It's an even trade. :-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Zanejabbers said...

I love quilts. Mother Lela did some real nice ones. She got mine pieced, but never finished it. I kept the pieces for years and finally sold them at a garage sale. My ex-partner misread the $250.00 dollar tag and sold thm for $25.00. Yeh, he's still alive.

Bill said...

I have an ancient quilt that was made by a great-great-somebody on my mom's side of the family.

When I was driving on backroads in Lancaster PA, the Amish women would hang quilts for sale on their front porch railings. Some of them were incredibly made.
I also went to DC to see the last public display of the entire AIDS quilt on the mall. Words just can't describe the experience.

However, it would take me an hour to sew on a button, and three minutes for it to fall off.

Bill said...

pee-ess...yer new blog header is FAB-O-MATIC.

Trailboss said...

Oh thank you Bill. I couldn't have done it, literally, without So!!!!